New Custom enclosure for Iron Man Hall of Armor from cheap Ikea parts.. the way I like it



The Hot Toys Hall of Armor has been unfinished sitting on top of an old Ikea Besta floating cabinet for a while... collecting dust.  

The idea was always there to build a box around it and then close it up with some acrylic panels. Execution of the plan was always hindered by actual plans Until it came to me to reuse some old parts I had used for another display area which I have since abandoned....  


Three Ikea Lack side table tops mounted directly to the wall via support beam and angle brackets ended up being my solution for the top.  I didn't want all the weight to sit on top of the Best Cabinet\.  Base is created by mounting 5 Besta glass shelves to the Best cabinet top surface.  I used the trusted 3M VHB strips as the base needs to be able to support some limited weight towards the front that is not supported by the cabinet.  I installed the top at the height to match the table leg length and used the table legs to created the support beams and sidewalls.  By chance the resulting depth for both top and base are the same and the width is only off by 4" which is not going to be noticeable.  Just waiting to pickup some thin acrylic to cut to size to finish this off.  Going to find a way to just hang it off the top edge.

I couldn't wait now that I am almost there and started populating the setup.  I didn't want to flood the setup with too much light but it was too dark relying on only the lights from the hall of Armor so I added 4  LED strips attached to the 2 centre support beams for the finishing touch.

Hope this inspires someone..

Comments