Updated Custom display

Took me a close to a decade to finally revisit this old setup apart, taking it apart, clean the area and redo the wiring and incl movie suitable themes.



How I did it:
I picked up some used retail shelf parts but Ikea has similar much cheaper solutions and current iteration is called Elvarli. Frames I use are just left over silkscreening aluminum frames from old work place but one could make a frame out of wood or buy shadow frames which has the benefit of already having a glass front which you could add film to defuse lights and skip acrylic. These are for structure but the added thickness also helps diffuse the light.  Base is just whatever fits but I used Ikea Melltorp table top by chance almost perfect fit w my frames. Acrylic is from local plastic shop. To secure the acrylic side panels and foam boards with some aluminum U-shaped trimming channels I picked up at HD.  The channel opening is 1/4"+ so will perfectly fit 1/4" acrylic or the foam boards or 2x 1/8" panels to creating "sliding doors"
Lights are old CCFL light bars for PCs I grabbed long ago just for this. Today could just get led strips. I did try 5630 LED strips I had but wasn't quite as bright.  I am sure 5050 are brighter but in my experience get toasty vs these old florescent light bars so I went w what I already have. What you don't see is I cleaned up the wire salad I had in the past and added connectors but still going to use my old PC PS as it's most cost effective and proven safe solution to provide upto 15A power for this and upcoming displays that also need lighting.



TDK specific theme:
Walls are cheap foam-boards w concrete style vinyl applied.   For the base I sourced a different colour concrete style vinyl.  Lines in the ceiling light are made w whiteboard grid tape 



Mando specific theme:
Backdrop was for Terrarium I found on Amazon available in a variety of sizes.  For the floor I went w kinetic sand (kids kids play sand) Pro over real sand is no dust, it won’t get everywhere, can easily shape like moist sand but without any liquid and easy clean up. 

Btw backdrop is from Amazon

Aquarium Poster,Aquarium Fish Tank Background Poster,PVC Waterproof, Non-Glare, not Easy to Fade and Durable,Self-Adhesive Design, PVC Adhesive Static Cling Wallpaper Sticker https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WWXHRVN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_4G2EZT3P5YKYCT9F10SK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1


And sand is from Amazon 

Kinetic Sand, 3lbs Beach Sand for Ages 3 and Up (Packaging My Vary) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019K8KIUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_0FDBBCJVDEXG0VJ9QF4A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Comments